Hi! Everyone. My name is Roxanna, and I recently enrolled at Red Rocks Community College. I have been out of school for a long time. I never thought I would be sitting in a class room again. I made the choice to return to school because I definitely enjoy learning. I knew this was the perfect time in my life to be in school, and there is no other place I would rather be. I understand there are going to be a lot of challenges that I will be facing on this journey. I look forward to my bright future.
When I was growing up, I struggled because I did not speak English. It made it a challenge to communicate with my teachers. It was very difficult for me; I remember my teachers were mean to me, and they would hush me all the time. It came to the point when I stopped talking in school. I couldn’t reach out to my parents because they did not know English; they only spoke Spanish. I did not have the support that I felt I needed to be a successful student. I have been carrying that with me for a long time, and it has been hard to let go of my feelings. I know in my heart that if I would have had what I needed back then, I would have continued on to college after high school. I know it is never too late to start something new.
Fast forwarding to my English class today, my professor assigned a 30-day challenge as one of our major assignments for the semester. I decided to do a writing challenge, and I plan on gaining a lot of knowledge from this challenge because I know I need to work on this skill. During this challenge, I’m going to work on different types of genres. One resource, besides the internet, that I will be using is The Bedford Book of Genres a Guide & Reader. We are using this book in my English class, and it is very informative. At the beginning of the semester, the class was required to read the beginning of the book, and the section we read was about Rhetorical Appeals: Ethos, Pathos, and Logos. Now knowing that Ethos is represented as the credibility of the writer/composer, Pathos is an appeal using the emotional side to reach the audience, and Logos is the logic and connection of the facts to the point of the genres, I feel I have a better understanding of how to interpret any reading, writing, and visual ads. With this knowledge I gained from this reading. I plan to incorporate it in my writing and also write about different locations in Colorado. Here I go. So wish me luck!

No comments:
Post a Comment